Skip to main content

Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee- Chocolate Buttercream!

"A girl and her bed on Sunday is an endless love affair." This past Sunday I took a time- out from my "love affair," and managed to get myself out of my bed on what was a perfect lazy Sunday afternoon. I recently bought a new cook book of deluxe cupcake recipes from the famous Primrose Bakery in London. Usually I feel like weekends are always jam-packed with activities, so this event-free Sunday seemed like the perfect day to finally try out one of the recipes. I haven't baked gourmet cupcakes in a while so I was excited to get back in the kitchen!

I really like this cook book because it is full of gourmet cupcakes in a variety of different fancy flavors, but the recipes are kept simple and easy! The photography in it alone, makes you salivate. I decided to make coffee cupcakes, with dark chocolate- coffee buttercream frosting. I followed the cupcake recipe from the book, except I just made up my own frosting recipe. I found a giant block of bittersweet chocolate in our pantry, which inspired the frosting. Because why not combine two of the best flavors in life- coffee and chocolate!!! Make sure you try out the recipe because they are simply delicious!
                                     

Coffee Cupcakes: 
Makes 12 Cupcakes

( *if you don't have self-raising four, just substitute with 1 tsp of baking powder)
8tbs unsalted butter at room temp
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup of self-rising flour 
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp instant espresso powder (dissolved with a little bit of hot water then set aside) 
1/2 cup 2% milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line cupcake pans with liners. Cream together butter, sugars, vanilla, and espresso in the mixer. Then add eggs one by one. Then continue beating on low, and slowly add in the flour and milk, while alternating little by little. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Let them cool before frosting!

Coffee-Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:  
2 cups of confectioners sugar
half of a 3.5oz Ghirardelli 100% Cacao Bar
1 stick of butter
a splash of milk
half a teaspoon of vanilla
2 tsp of instant espresso (mix with a splash of hot water in a mug and whisk to dissolve)

Melt the chocolate until smooth over a double broiler on the stove, then set aside to cool some. Then cream together confectioners sugar, butter, espresso, vanilla, and milk. Then slowly add the melted chocolate as your beating the frosting in the mixer. Add more confectioners sugar until you reach your desired consistency. I topped my cupcakes with chocolate shavings, but chocolate covered espresso beans would be good decoration as well :)

Enjoy XO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#OOTD

I've been really loving rompers the summer! They have so many cute ones out there, and they're totally cute and effortless! I got this one at Marshall's. I paired it with simple white wedges and some neon arm candy, to go with the neon embroidery at the neckline of the romper. It's perfect for a summer night out with your girlfriends!  What's your favorite fashion staple to rock this summer? Let me know in the comment section below!! Xoxo

Cyrus and Hemsworth #Is It Really Over?!

    It was back in the summer of 2009 that Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth fell in love on set while filming "The Last Song." It was my favorite kind of romance. I guess I am a hopeless romantic, because I live for real life relationships that blossom out of on screen love interests. I had so much hope for Miley and Liam because they always looked so in love, and the love seemed real. I remember being so excited when they announced their engagement in June 2012. Even though a lot off people thought it was premature for Cyrus, 19 and Hmsworth, 22 at the time. They were mature enough not to rush into marriage though and have a long engagement. There was no denying the couple was head over heels for each other. Little did we know Miley was soon going to let out all her demons at once to the public eye. Recently her stunts have been out of control, from her transition from pop princess to cutting all her of and publicly talking about things, let's just say, not so " Disn

Dîner en Blanc

Last night I attended the traditional D î ner en Blanc in Philly and it was simply beautiful. Over 5,000 attendees gathered with their white tables and chairs, dressed to impress in white head to toe, to eat, drink, and be merry with friends at this year's "secret location" Franklin Square. People munched on glittery fairy floss and sipped on champagne and Sauvignon Blanc, while dancing the night away and taking rides on the carousel. The night was fun, French, and fabulous! Inspired by a French tradition, places all over the world hold Dîner en Blanc each year and our city of brotherly love has grown to be the largest in attendance.  One outfit was more unique and angelic than the next, some added white body glitter, while others added a fancy hat to complete their white looks...some even added angel wings! Each guest had their own je ne sais quoi! Besides the outfits being show stoppers, guests adorned their table tops with the finest decor from crystals, to fairy l