Skip to main content

Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee- Chocolate Buttercream!

"A girl and her bed on Sunday is an endless love affair." This past Sunday I took a time- out from my "love affair," and managed to get myself out of my bed on what was a perfect lazy Sunday afternoon. I recently bought a new cook book of deluxe cupcake recipes from the famous Primrose Bakery in London. Usually I feel like weekends are always jam-packed with activities, so this event-free Sunday seemed like the perfect day to finally try out one of the recipes. I haven't baked gourmet cupcakes in a while so I was excited to get back in the kitchen!

I really like this cook book because it is full of gourmet cupcakes in a variety of different fancy flavors, but the recipes are kept simple and easy! The photography in it alone, makes you salivate. I decided to make coffee cupcakes, with dark chocolate- coffee buttercream frosting. I followed the cupcake recipe from the book, except I just made up my own frosting recipe. I found a giant block of bittersweet chocolate in our pantry, which inspired the frosting. Because why not combine two of the best flavors in life- coffee and chocolate!!! Make sure you try out the recipe because they are simply delicious!
                                     

Coffee Cupcakes: 
Makes 12 Cupcakes

( *if you don't have self-raising four, just substitute with 1 tsp of baking powder)
8tbs unsalted butter at room temp
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup of self-rising flour 
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp instant espresso powder (dissolved with a little bit of hot water then set aside) 
1/2 cup 2% milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line cupcake pans with liners. Cream together butter, sugars, vanilla, and espresso in the mixer. Then add eggs one by one. Then continue beating on low, and slowly add in the flour and milk, while alternating little by little. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Let them cool before frosting!

Coffee-Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:  
2 cups of confectioners sugar
half of a 3.5oz Ghirardelli 100% Cacao Bar
1 stick of butter
a splash of milk
half a teaspoon of vanilla
2 tsp of instant espresso (mix with a splash of hot water in a mug and whisk to dissolve)

Melt the chocolate until smooth over a double broiler on the stove, then set aside to cool some. Then cream together confectioners sugar, butter, espresso, vanilla, and milk. Then slowly add the melted chocolate as your beating the frosting in the mixer. Add more confectioners sugar until you reach your desired consistency. I topped my cupcakes with chocolate shavings, but chocolate covered espresso beans would be good decoration as well :)

Enjoy XO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mocha Cake With Nutella Italian Meringue Buttercream

Previously Pop Culture Primadonna I've decided to tweak my blog a little bit to focus mainly on my two passions: fashion and baking! So welcome to the new blog: Frosting and Fashion!  To celebrate this update, I thought I would kick things off with something a little fancy! As I was searching through Pinterest recipes, with a bad case of Italy on the brain anxiously awaiting my Italy trip in October, I decided to spend my Saturday night whipping up a Mocha Cake with Nutella Italian Meringue Buttercream totally from scratch!  It sounds super fancy and impressive but the  recipe is kind of easy (shhh!). It's easier than you think to have  la dolce vita;) The cake turned out great for my first time making it and it's currently getting devoured by my family lol. The Italian meringue buttercream is what's getting commented on the most because it's so yummy and its literally like a cloud- so light and different from your norm frosting! For the mocha cake: 1 2/3 ...

2 Fashion MUST HAVES to Spice Up Your Fall Wardrobe!

    Fall is a perfect time for trying out new styles and trends when it comes to fashion, because we are making that inevitable transition from summer weather to cooler temps! As I began to drown myself in fashion magazines to get educated on any new trends for this fall, two items stood out to me: A (faux!) leather jacket and an over sized army jacket. I noticed how so many celebrities in young Hollywood whose style I get inspired by, like Vanessa Hudgens, PLL star Ashley Benson, and Rihanna (just to name a few), have been seen rocking these two items with their street style of lately. Once I get something in my head I HAVE to buy it! Some call it a shopaholic, I call it helping the economy while staying trendy- its a win/win. :)     So naturally after focusing in on the leather jacket and military jacket, I went on a hunt to find them. The great thing about these two jackets is that they're solid in color so they can easily be added to any outfit without worryin...

The Future Is Exciting When You're Following Your Dreams!

 I'm going into my senior year of college as a Communications major. Entering into college, it was nerve-wrecking having to categorize yourself almost immediately into a major which will define your main career choice for the rest of your life. It was a toss up between early childhood education and communications. I thought to myself " I love kids and am good with them, and a teaching job will be guaranteed  and more practical." I was wishy-washy about being a communications  major when I began college because, now looking back at it, I didn't fully understand the major. As I became a junior and started going out in the classroom, I began to realize how I didn't want to become a teacher. It started to sink how I would be stuck in a classroom all day every day! I've done it for 15 years, I don't want to do it for the rest of my life!!! LOL. Also my mind started to weigh heavily on me that I should take the leap of faith and go after my real dreams while I...